Affiliations

The Highlanders, 4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland (4 SCOTS)

Royal Regiment of Scotland

In 1923 an alliance with the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders (Imperial Army) was confirmed by General Order. At the same time, authority was given for the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa to wear the uniform of the allied Regiment.

The alliance has been perpetuated with the British regiment through its amalgamations as follows:

  • 1923: The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders
  • 1994: The Queen’s Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons)
  • 2006: The Highlanders, 4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland (4 SCOTS)

The Highlanders, 4th Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland (4 SCOTS) website

 

The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders Of Canada

QueensOwnCameronHighlandersCanada

The 79th Cameron Highlanders of Canada, were formed in 1910 and were Western Canada’s first highland regiment.

In 1923, an alliance with the Cameron Highlanders of Canada, a reserve unit in Winnipeg, was confirmed. In the same year, royal assent to the addition of the royal designation “Queen’s Own” was given to Cameron Highlanders of Canada.

The Regiment served with distinction throughout WWI and were part of the Canadian forces during the Battle for Vimy Ridge.

The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada (QOCHC) again went overseas in 1940 and were participants in the attack on Dieppe in 1941. They subsequently landed in Normandy on July 7, 1944, and advanced with Canadian forces through France, Holland, and Germany.

Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada website

 

St Giles Presbyterian Church

St Giles

St Giles Presbyterian Church, Bank and First Avenue, Ottawa was formed in 1925.

In the early thirties, Dr John Logan-Vencta, a serving officer, resigned his commission and became the Regiment’s chaplain. He was the Minister at St Giles’ for 39 years and served as Chaplain for 28 years. He rose through the Chaplaincy ranks and served as the principal Chaplain of the Canadian Army from December 1945 through May 1946.

On May 12, 1940, the Regimental Colours were laid up at St Giles as the unit left for service overseas. In 1947 the Colours were reclaimed by the Regiment.

Following presentation of the current Colours by Her Majesty the Queen on July 5, 1967, the old Colours were paraded to St Giles where they hang in the sanctuary today.

St Giles continues to support the Regiment and every Cameron serving overseas receives a “care package” from the Church. The Regiment also participates in annual Remembrance Day ceremonies and supports the Church in its fund raising activities.

St Giles Presbyterian Church website